Sunday, September 5, 2010

Nova's beginning of training

For several weeks I worked with Nova on everything from groundwork to lunging to bareback riding. At the time I didn't have a saddle so I got accustomed to bareback riding and I found it much easier to train by doing so. It gave me the feel of everything she was doing and made me completely understand her. We worked on the basics like tying and grooming. At the time I couldn't touch the back part of her body but over several weeks I was slowly able to brush all of her, comb her mane and tail, and lean all over her. She was now slowly gaining weight too!


Our first ride off the property ended up being almost 14 miles as we got lost on the roads around our house. Nova was green, but entirely safe and not spooky in the least bit. I rode her in a non-mechanical hackamore and she responded amazingly to it. We also rode through woods, water, hills, and past cars, motorcycles, and semis. I was so amazed by her calm demeanor and easibility of training.

No comments:

Post a Comment